Methodological Reviewer: Anand Govindarajan MD, MSc, FRCSC, University of Toronto
Clinical Reviewer: Kelly Vogt MD, MSc, FRCSC, Western University
Please read the above articles and be prepared to discuss the following:
- What is the clinical question being addressed?
- Was the assignment of patients to treatment randomized and concealed?
- Were all patients who entered the trial properly accounted for and attributed for at is conclusion?
- Were patients, their clinicians and study personnel “blind” to treatment?
- Did novel and standard treatment groups start with the same prognosis?
- Was the effect of the standard treatment preserved?
- Did the investigators analyze patients according to the treatment they received, as well as to the groups to which they were assigned?
- How large and precise was the treatment effect?
- Can the results be applied to my patient care?
- Were all patient-important outcomes considered?
- Are the likely treatment benefits worth the potential harm and costs?
- State the conclusion. Have the authors addressed the clinical question posed?
- Does the evidence support the conclusion?