Fenlon HM, Nunes DP, Schroy III PC et al: A comparison of Virtual and Conventional Colonoscopy for the Detection of Colorectal Polyps. NEJM 1999; 341: 1496-1503
Jaeschke R, Guyatt GH, Sackett DL: for the Evidence Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ Guides to the Medical Literature. III. How to Use an Article about a Diagnostic Test. A. JAMA 1994 Feb 2; 271(5): 389-391
Jaeschke R, Guyatt GH, Sackett DL: for the Evidence Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ Guides to the Medical Literature. III. How to Use an Article about a Diagnostic Test. B. JAMA 1994 Mar 2; 271(9): 703-707
Please read the provided articles and be prepared to discuss the following:
- What is the clinical question being asked?
- Is this a question of diagnosis or screening?
- Was there an independent, blind comparison to a gold standard test?
- Did the patient sample include an appropriate spectrum of patients?
- Did the results of the test being evaluated influence the decision to perform the gold standard test?
- Were the methods for performing the test adequately described?
- Were likelihood ratios for the test results presented or data necessary for their calculation provided?
- Will the reproducibility of the test results be satisfactory in my setting?
- Are the results applicable to my patients?
- Will the results change my management?
- Will patients be better off as a result of the test?