Watson DI, Thompson SK, Devitt PG, et al. Five Year Follow-up of a Randomized Controlled Trial of Laparoscopic Repair of Very Large Hiatus Hernia With Sutures Versus Absorbable Versus Nonabsorbable Mesh. Ann Surg. 2020;272(2):241-247. doi:10.1097/SLA.0000000000003734
Methodological Reviewer: Melina Vassiliou, MD, MEd, FRCSC and Giuseppe Frenda MD
Clinical Reviewer: Amber Shada MD, FACS
Clinical Reviewer: Patrick Reardon, MD, FACS
Please read the above articles and be prepared to discuss the following:
- What is the clinical question being addressed?
- Was the assignment of patients to treatment randomized?
- Were all patients who entered the trial properly accounted for and attributed at its conclusions?
- Were patients, their clinicians and study personnel “blind” to treatment?
- Were the groups similar at the start of the trial?
- Aside from the experimental intervention, were the groups treated equally?
- How large and precise was the treatment effect?
- Can the results be applied to my patient care?
- Were all clinically important outcomes considered?
- Are the likely treatment benefits worth the potential harm and costs?
- State the conclusion. Have the authors addressed the question posed?
- Does the evidence support the conclusion?