Bolkenstein H, Consten E, van der Palen J et al. Long-term Outcome of Surgery Versus Conservative Management for Recurrent and Ongoing Complaints After an Episode of Diverticulitis. Ann Surg 2019; 269(4); 612-620
Methodological Reviewer: Sunil Patel MD, MSc, Department of Surgery, Queens University
Clinical Reviewer: Samantha Hendren, MD, MPH, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan
Clinical Reviewer: Des Winter, MD, Centre for Colorectal Disease, St. Vincent’s University Hospital and Alexandra Zaborowski MD, Centre for Colorectal Disease, St. Vincent’s University Hospital
Thoma A, Cornacchi S, Lovrics P, Goldsmith C; for the Evidence-Based Surgery Working Group. Users’ Guide to the Surgical Literature: How to Assess an Article on Health-related Quality of Life. CJS 2008;51(3):215-224.
Thoma A, Farrokhyar F, Bhandari M, Tandan V; for the Evidence-Based Surgery Working Group. Users’ Guide to the Surgical Literature: How to Assess a Randomized Controlled Trial in Surgery. CMA 2004;47(3):200-208.
Please read the above articles and be prepared to discuss the following:
- What is the clinical question being addressed?
- Did the HRQL Instruments work in the way they are supposed to?
- Are there important aspects of HRQL that have been omitted?
- Are the HRQL Instruments chosen valid, reliable and responsive?
- Were HRQL assessments appropriately timed to evaluate the effects of the surgical intervention?
- What was the magnitude of the effect on HRQL?
- State the conclusion. Have the authors addressed the question posed?
- Does the evidence support the conclusion?