Warshkow R, Beutner U, Steffen T, et al. Safe and early discharge after colorectal surgery due to C-Reactive protein. Ann Surg 2012;256:245-250
Methodological Reviewer: Prosanto Chaudhury MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS, Department of Surgery, McGill University
Clinical Reviewer: Marc Jeschke, MD PhD FACS FCCM FRCS(C), Department of Surgery, University of Toronto
Clinical Reviewer: John RT Monson MD, FRCS, FACS, Department of Surgery, University of Rochester Medical Centre
Stroup DF, Berlin JA, Morton SC, et al. Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology. JAMA 2000;283(15):2008-2012
Please read the above articles and be prepared to discuss the following:
- What is the clinical question being addressed?
- Did the review explicitly address a sensible clinical question?
- Was the search for relevant studies detailed and exhaustive?
- Were the primary studies of high methodologic quality?
- Were the assessments of studies reproducible?
- Were the results similar from study to study?
- What are the overall results of the review?
- Were the clinically important outcomes considered?
- State the conclusion. Have the authors addressed the clinical question posed?
- Does the evidence support the conclusion?