Lawson EH, Louie R, Zingmond DS, et al. A comparison of clinical registry versus administrative claims data for reporting of 30-day surgical complications. Ann Surg 2012;256:973-981
Methodological Reviewer: Lillian Kao MD, MS, FACS, Department of Surgery, University of Texas HSC of Houston
Clinical Reviewer: Geoff Porter MD, FRCSC, FACS, Department of Surgery, Dalhousie University
Clinical Reviewer: Justin B. Dimick, MD, MPH, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan
Iezzoni LI. Assessing quality using administrative data. Ann Int Med 1997;127:666-674
Reference articles on NSQIP: Khuri SF. The NSQIP: A new frontier in surgery. Surg 2005;135:837-843
Khuri SF, Daley J, Henderson W, et al. The Department of Veteran Affairs’ NSQIP. The first national validated, outcome-based, risk-adjusted, and peer-controlled program for the measurement and enhancement of the quality of surgical care. Ann Surg 1998;228(4):491-507
Please read the provided articles and be prepared to discuss the following:
- What is the clinical question being addressed?
- What is the study design? Is it appropriate?
- What is the rationale for the study?
- What are the sources of data?
- Are the data accurate and valid?
- What outcomes were considered?
- How large and precise was the difference in the outcome?
- Are there any factors (confounders) that might explain the difference in the results?
- State the conclusion. Have the authors addressed the clinical question posed?
- Does the evidence support the conclusion?