Weeks JC, Ctalano PJ, Cronin A, et al. Patients’ expectations about effects of chemotherapy for advanced cancer. N Engl J Med 2012;367:1616-1625
Methodological Reviewer: Tim Pawlik MD,MPH, PhD, FACS, FRACS (Hon.), Department of Surgery, John Hopkins Medical School
Clinical Reviewer: Karen Devon MD, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto
Clinical Reviewer: Anthony Fields CM, MD, FRCPC, FACP, Department of Oncology, University of Alberta
Clinical Reviewer: Daniel B. Hinshaw, MD, FACS, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan
Giacomini MK, Cook DJ; for the Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ guide to the medical literature XXIII. Qualitative research in health care A. Are the results of the study valid? JAMA 2000;284(3):357-362
Giacomini MK, Cook DJ; for the Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ guides to the medical literature XXIII. Qualitative research in health care B. What are the results and how do they help me care for my patients? JAMA 2000;284(4):478-482
- What is the clinical question being addressed?
- Were the participants relevant to the research question and was their selection well reasoned?
- Were the data collection methods appropriate for the research objectives and settings?
- Was the data collection comprehensive enough to support rich and robust descriptions of the observed events?
- Were the data appropriately analyzed and the finds adequately corroborated?
- How evocative and thorough is the description?
- How comprehensive and relevant are the theoretical conclusions?
- Does this study help me to understand the context of my practice? Does the study help me understand my relationships with my patients and their families?