Bleyer A, Welch HG. Effect of three decades of screening mammography on breast-cancer incidence. New Engl J Med 2012;367:1998-2005
Methodological Review: Steve Latosinsky MD, MSc, FRCSC, Department of Surgery, University of Western Ontario
Clinical Review: Jean-Francois Boileau MD, Department of Surgery, Sherbrooke University
Clinical Review: Heather Bryant MD, PhD, CCFP, FRCPC, Canadian Partnership Against Cancer
Clinical Review: Lisa Newman MD, MPH, FACS, FASCO, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan
Rochon PA, Gurwitz JH, Sykora K et al. Reader’s guide to critical appraisal of cohort studies: 1. Role and design. BMJ 2005;330:895-897
Mamdani M, Sykora K, Li P et al. Reader’s guide to critical appraisal of cohort studies: 2. Assessing potential for confounding. BMJ 2005;330:960-2
Normand SLT, Sykora K, Li P, et al. Reader’s guide to critical appraisal of cohort studies: 3. Analytical strategies to reduce confounding. BMJ 2005;330:1021-3
Please read the provided articles and be prepared to discuss the following:
- What is the clinical question being addressed?
- What is the study design? Is it appropriate?
- What are the sources of data?
- Are the data accurate and valid?
- What was the intervention and how was it assessed?
- What outcomes were considered?
- Are there other clinically important outcomes that should be considered?
- How large and precise was the difference in outcomes?
- Are there any factors (confounders) that might explain the results?
- State the conclusion. Have the authors addressed the clinical question posed?
- Does the evidence support the conclusion?