Morrow M, Van Zee KJ, Solin LJ, et al. Society of Surgical Oncology-American Society for Radiation Oncology-American Society of Clinical Oncology Consensus Guideline on margins for breast-conserving surgery with whole breast irradiation in ductal carcinoma in situ. Ann Surg Oncology 2016;23:3801-3810
Methodological Reviewer: Malin Sund MD, PhD, Department of Surgical and Perioperative Sciences, Umeå University
Clinical Reviewer: Kelly Hunt MD, FACS, Department of Surgery, University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center
Clinical Reviewer: May Lynn Quan MD, MSc, FRCSC, Department of Surgery, University of Calgary
Clinical Reviewer: Fredrik Wärnberg MD, Department of Surgery, Uppsala University
Hayward RSA, Wilson MC, Tunis SR, Bass EB, Guyatt G, for the Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ Guides to the Medical Literature. How to Use Clinical Practice Guidelines (A). JAMA 1995;274(7):570-74
Hayward RSA, Wilson MC, Tunis SR, Bass EB, Guyatt G, for the Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ Guides to the Medical Literature. How to Use Clinical Practice Guidelines (B). JAMA 1995;274(20):1630-32
Please read the above articles and be prepared to discuss the following:
- What are the clinical questions being addressed?
- Were all important options and outcomes considered?
- Was an explicit and sensible process used to identify, select and combine evidence?
- Was an explicit and sensible process used to consider the relative value of different outcomes?
- Is the guideline likely to account for important recent developments?
- Has the guideline been subjected to peer review and testing?
- Are practical clinically important recommendations made?
- How strong are the recommendations?
- What is the impact of uncertainty associated with the evidence and values used in the guidelines?
- State the conclusion. Have the authors addressed the clinical questions posed?
- Does the evidence support the conclusion?